#GivingTuesday is approaching rapidly. What should your organization be doing to get ready? What should you be planning for the day of #GivingTuesday, and do you have plans for the day after? This episode explores these questions and more.
In today’s supersized three-part episode of The sgENGAGE Podcast, you’ll hear from several different guests who will help you have a successful #GivingTuesday. In the first segment, Mel Rancour and Jackie Zimmerman from Blackbaud University discuss the things that organizations should be doing before, during, and after #GivingTuesday. In the second segment, you’ll hear from Erica Burroughs, Director of Annual Giving and Family Engagement at High Point University, about how they engage supporters and how #GivingTuesday works together with other fundraising events. Finally, in segment three, you’ll hear from Andy Schroeder, Director of Development at Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, about how a funny video helped his organization earn three times their donation goal, and how they plan to build on that success for this year’s #GivingTuesday.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Segment 1 [00:01:49] – Mel Rancour and Jackie Zimmerman, Blackbaud University w/ host Steve MacLaughlin:
- What organizations can do right now to launch a Giving Tuesday campaign this year
- What organizations can do to prepare for Giving Tuesday all year long, and how they can leverage what they are already doing
- Ideas and resources for organizations to make the day of Giving Tuesday go more smoothly
- What organizations should do after Giving Tuesday to continue engaging supporters and new prospective donors
- Segment 2 [00:20:09] – Erica Burroughs, High Point University w/ host Sally Ehrenfried:
- How High Point University prepares for Giving Tuesday
- How their approach to engage supporters on Giving Tuesday differs from their spring university giving day
- How campus-wide fundraising events work together for positive outcomes
- Erica’s advice for organizations that want to participate in Giving Tuesday
- Segment 3 [00:37:25] – Andy Schroeder, Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary w/ host Sally Ehrenfried:
- Why Giving Tuesday is important to fundraising campaigns
- How Sisters of Charity BVM came up with the video that helped them smash their fundraising goal for buying new chairs, and how they marketed it to engage so many supporters
- How Sisters of Charity BVM plans to build on last year’s Giving Tuesday success
- Andy’s advice for other organizations for a successful Giving Tuesday, even if they have basic organizational fundraising needs (like new chairs!)
Listen to the episode now:
“Flexibility is going to be important. Because sometimes everything goes as planned and then you can have a little party, celebrate – but in my experience that almost never happens.” –Jackie Zimmerman
“It’s never too late. You can put together a campaign, you can implement software, in a time frame that you just frankly wouldn’t believe.” – Erica Burroughs
“One of the things that I think organizations do well is ask for money. The thing that they don’t always do as well is tell people how the money was used and be able to show the impact in some way, shape, or form.” – Andy Schroeder
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or your preferred streaming service for future episodes!