How does unconscious bias interfere with the hiring process? It may be different than you think. Listen to this episode to learn more about how unconscious bias affects the workplace and how it can be overcome to create diverse and inclusive workplaces.
Today’s guest is Paula Brantner, president of PB Works Solutions, LLC and senior advisor to Workplace Fairness, a nonprofit organization working to promote and preserve employee rights that maintains the most comprehensive online resource for free information about workers’ rights. Listen to the episode to hear what Paula has to say about strategies that organizations can use to reduce unconscious bias in the hiring process, tactics for reaching out to and recruiting diverse candidates, and the benefits of a more diverse workplace.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Paula’s background and how she got involved in diversity and bias issues
- What unconscious bias is and how it interferes with the hiring process
- Strategies that organizations can use to eliminate unconscious bias and reach more diverse candidates
- Tools and training that can help hiring managers identify implicit bias
- Patterns that Paula sees when it comes to diversity issues in hiring
- Benefits of working to remove unconscious bias and be more inclusive
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher or your preferred streaming service for future episodes!
“I really started paying attention to diversity and bias issues when I realized that a lot of times it’s very difficult to bring a lawsuit when you’ve encountered these in the workplace.”
“You may think you don’t discriminate, but these forces may be working in your brain based on your life experience even before you take any action against them.”
“When you actually get to the point of sorting and interviewing particular candidates, make sure you have a diverse group of people looking at the resumes.”