ESG (environment, social, and governance) is a hot topic amongst for-profit companies and investors, but is it important for nonprofits and other social good organizations too? Today’s guest thinks so. Tim McClimon, president of The Celeste Group, which specializes in corporate social responsibility and nonprofit management strategies and programs, and former head of corporate social responsibility at American Express, joined Blackbaud’s Rachel Hutchisson to discuss why social good organizations should view ESG as an operating strategy and as a way of being more transparent and accountable to their employees, donors, beneficiaries, communities, and the planet. Rachel and Tim also talked about what nonprofits can learn from companies, including Blackbaud, and how companies can help increase the focus on ESG in the nonprofit sector.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What is ESG?
- Why ESG isn’t just for companies
- Why nonprofits need to create strategies for climate and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
- Why higher education institutions have been paying more attention to sustainability
- How funders can help nonprofits adopt ESG practices
- The importance of transparency in social good organizations
- Expectations for transparency and impact from the newest generation of employees
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher or your preferred streaming service for future episodes!